Today we celebrate the hot dog. In 1991, National Hot Dog Day was created. This date floats around from year to year, but this year it is on July 23. It makes sense to have a special day for hot dogs, especially since July is Hot Dog Month.
So, the big question is how do you like your hot dog? Do you like the snap that comes after grilling or frying a dog? Or can you not be bothered with that and just nuke it in the microwave. What on you like on them? Are you a purist who prefers mustard, or do like the works? There are sausages, even vegetarian options, oodles of topping options and even different methods of preparing these popular treats.
Even Burger King got on the Hot Dog train this year and they saw their numbers rise thanks in part to this new addition.
— Time Out New York (@TimeOutNewYork) July 14, 2016
Here are three things you can do to celebrate National Hot Dog Day:
Make your own
Get out the grill or griddle and make some doggie magic. Try to spiral cut the wieners for a new and trendy preparation of this portable treat. If you really want to make them shine, look up some odd, but interesting flavor combinations. If you want an expert’s advice, check out Chef Ivan Flowers’ lesson on Hot Dogs.
Engage in the dialogue #NationalHotDogDay
New York, Chicago or Chili Cheese style dogs? What is your preference? Pick a fight with someone who doesn’t think one should have ketchup on their dog. Find someone who only likes corndogs. Try to come up with hot dog substitute for your vegan friend. Offer up a factoid, did you know that more than 25 million hot dogs are sold at baseball stadiums each year or that 7-Eleven sells the most grilled hot dogs in North America?
Take advantage of the free or cheap options out there on Saturday, July 23, 2016
Look around as deals abound:
- Burger King will offer a Classic Grilled Dog or a Chili Cheese Grilled Dog for just $1
- Philly Pretzel Factory is offering up $1 Pretzel Dogs at participating locations.
- 7-Eleven will be selling its Quarter Pound Big Bites for $1.
- Ben's Soft Pretzels can buy one Pretzel Dogs, get one free throughout the month of July and customers can enter online for a chance to win a dozen free Pretzel Dogs if you are a loyalty card member.
- Beer Park in Las Vegas will be offering customers a free hot dog with the purchase of a Budweiser
- Dog Haus will sell $1 Hot Dog Sliders and Corn Dog Sliders.
- Hwy 55 Burgers, Shakes & Fries is slated to sell its hot dogs for $1
- Canadian staple Harvey’s has a coupon
- Between the Bun in Indiana has some specials
- Two Classic Dogs are $5 at Wayback Burgers on Saturday.